Representatives from the partnership outside the new Re-Use Shop on Beverley Road, Hull.
From left to right, Liam Bould, area manager, Carly, Philip Daniels, chairman, Sarah Cash, Dovehouse Hospice, Chris Sadler, CEO, Adie Hallett, store manager, Sarah Atkinson, FCC, James Ward, Hull City Council, Ryan Perry, Sarah Atkinson, and Lars Stryg. (Image: SWNS)

Dove House: Fantastic new Re-Use Shop opens on Beverley Road 

A new Re-Use Shop run by Dove House Hospice in partnership with Hull City Council, East Riding of Yorkshire Council, and FCC Environment has opened today (Friday 12 January).  

The new shop aims to reduce waste by selling good quality second-hand items, which have been donated for reuse from household waste and recycling centres across Hull and East Riding. 

This is the first general reuse shop to be open within the Hull City Council boundary, with the other shop based at Humberfield Household Waste and Recycling Centre in the East Riding.  

Councillor Julia Conner, Portfolio Holder for Environment, said: “The Re-Use Shops are fundamental to sustainable waste management, provide affordable options for residents, and raise vital funds for Dove House Hospice. So, I am delighted that a new store has opened in Hull today.”   

Doug Sharp, Head of Street Cleansing and Waste Management at Hull City Council, added: “With many families across Hull and East Riding struggling under the current financial climate, this new Re-Use Shop is a great opportunity for those residents to purchase good quality items at a reasonable price.   

“The store is also an invaluable part of the Council’s sustainable waste management strategy and contributes towards the Council’s commitment to carbon reduction.”  

Items sold at the shop include everything from sports equipment to furniture and collectables to TVs. (Image: SWNS)

The new shop is the result of a continued partnership between Dove House Hospice, Hull City Council, East Riding Council, and FCC Environment.  

As well as providing the general reuse stores, the partnership also aided the relocation and progression of the reuse electrical shop on Hessle Road, Hull – which has been a roaring success so far.  

Gemma Green, Reuse Development Manager, at FCC Environment, said: “Only 10% of the funds needed to run Dove House Hospice come from the Government, the other 90% must be raised through the generosity of local people and organisations.   

“Profits from the new shop will help to support the fantastic work Dove House does caring for people living with progressive life limiting illnesses in our community and providing support for their family and friends too.”  

The scheme diverts good quality items for reuse from the network of 13 household waste and recycling centres across Hull and East Riding, making the Re-Use Shop the perfect place for residents to find hidden treasures and preloved bargains.  

Items sold include everything from sports equipment to furniture and collectables to TVs, with all funds generated used to support Dove House Hospice.  

Sarah Cash, Deputy Chief Executive and Director of Business and Income Development at Dove House Hospice, said: “We are really excited to bring reuse to residents who may find it difficult to get to the Humberfield Re-Use Shop.   

“The addition of the new shop will not only increase the number of good quality items diverted from disposal, but it will also provide vital funds for the hospice.”  

The new Re-Use Shop is located at 430 Beverley Road, Hull HU5 1LP.  

The shop will be open Monday to Saturday from 9am to 5pm and on Sundays from 10am to 4pm.  

For more information, visit Dove House.

Roadworks signs
Children taking part in a Green Cross Code training session in Hull